Lab Tests & X-Rays
We collect, processes, test and/or ship approximately 75,000 tests each year in support of the hospital’s mission to keep the Naval Station Guantanamo Bay family ready, healthy, and on the job. We perform a wide range of lab tests in-house including Hematology, Chemistry, Urinalysis, Serology, and Microbiology tests. Some lab tests, including Tissue Examinations, PAP smears and non-routine tests, are sent to either a military or civilian reference laboratory in the US.
Our laboratory is fully accredited by the College of American Pathologists and AABB and licensed by the Food and Drug Administration. Our staff are multi-disciplined and include such specialties as medical technologists, medical laboratory technicians, phlebotomists and an off-site pathologist medical director.
Some tests may require you to fast for up to 12 hours and/or require a special diet. Your provider or the lab will instruct you before any labs are drawn. The laboratory does not provide lab results to patients. Please contact the clinic where you were seen for results or use the Tricare “Blue Button.”
TRICARE covers the following when medically necessary:
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) with or without contrast media
- Open MRI with or without contrast media
- Breast MRI
- Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA)
- Computerized Tomography (CT) scans
- Three-dimensional (3D) rendering
- Helical (spiral) CT scans, with or without contrast enhancement
- Chest X-Rays
- Diagnostic mammography to further define breast abnormalities or other problems
- Portable X-ray services
- Bone density studies for the diagnosis and monitoring of osteoporosis or osteopenia
- Multislice Computed Tomography Angiogram (CTA)
This list of covered services is not all inclusive. TRICARE covers services that are medically necessary and considered proven. There are special rules or limits on certain services, and some services are excluded.
How Are We Doing?
Patients are encouraged to complete the online Laboratory Customer Service Survey
or Radiology Customer Service Survey
each time you visit our facility, especially if you observe a difference in the care received, whether positive or negative. Feedback from our patients is extremely important in assisting our team to make a positive and lasting impression of our facility and your care.